She's finished!!!

Whew.... the cabinet is done! For those of you who have not experimented w/black, let me warn you--it can be quite the process! Black paint gets just about everywhere! And i know some have used paints that have required quite a few coats. I was lucky to stumble across a blog that gave me a heads-up on Benjamin Moore Iron Clad Black Paint. So let me give a shout out to Just a Girl for the fabulous paint recommendation. Check out the post that inspired my paint-it-black fest: http://j-a-girl.blogspot.com/2009/07/black-door.html

It has a self-primer, so you can easily get away w/just one coat on most things. I'd like to go over the cabinet and do one more thin, even coat. But it's good enough for now!

Before. Ok, but it was one of the first things we painted when we moved in (11 yrs ago). You would die if i had the original before photo. I will find that someday and post it. These cabinets were lovingly resurfaced/painted by my FIL. They were previously brown and yellow--GROSS!

Getting there!

Ahh...that's better! Isn't she purrrty?! I also stained the butcher block top. A close-up of some details:
I would have needed 11 new drawer pulls, and we know how expensive those can get. No way! I'll pick up a $4 can of spray paint thankyouverymuch! However, i didn't anticipate what a task this would be. I'd get them all set up, they'd blow over in the wind, roll around, etc. The worst were these below. But i'll share my trick--my handy husband came up w/the idea to stick them in floral foam--genius!
Hmmm..guess i should have worn gloves! I tend to get anxious and dive right into projects without thinking sometimes. The paint can said "soap and water cleanup".. sha-right!

I had to rely on my trusty pumice cleaner. You can get this at auto stores. It smells sooooo good!

And my paint-it-black fest continues! I have a table i'm working on, and some other ideas coming up. Thanks for looking and Happy Decorating!!

5 comments:

  1. It looks great! And I love the green apple accents. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH! It's like a completly different piece!! I hope the paint was what you wanted. I'd hate to recommend something that made you curse me as you were painting! I think it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls!

    Chris--i LOVE the paint! I had to have them order it at the one hardware store, and was a little surprised at the price ($47/gal!), but i was well worth it. Just like you said--a little goes a long way. Which is great, since i have other projects in mind. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. what a transformation! i think it looks great. i am sure it was hard tryiing to decide whether to paint it black or not. but the end result is super. great built in cabinet, btw.

    i am jealous!

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a great piece! It looks great in black.

    Question for ya; are you in Buffalo? If so, we are practically neighbours. I'm just outside of Toronto.

    ReplyDelete